Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Rumors of war

Captain’s log, stardate: 90210. Dad's entry - I’ve secured this channel to broadcast what could be my last transmission. It’s been four days now since we left civilization. Though the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated, the crew is weary as we settle in on the long haul. We’re hungry. Tired. Fatigue setting in. I’ve set up a perimeter around the house to intercept incoming sound waves before they hit base camp. The first watch of the night was uneventful. Still, I take no solace in the calm, knowing that a storm brews on the horizon. One of ours was hit pretty hard last week. Took two units of blood to set everything right again. Mollie is a dedicated soldier; she went natural for half of the journey. For those who aren’t parents yet (we call them civilians), saying that a woman “went natural” is like a scientist saying that a star went supernova. Nonetheless, somehow, we survived the blast - not a scratch on us - but I can tell, nothing will be the same again. The first diaper change came with unrelenting force. Who gave my baby tar to eat? Boot camp could never have prepared us for this.

10 comments:

Nicki W. said...

HILARIOUS!! glad ya'll are home!

Christi said...

hah, you're funny. Glad he's here! What a journey, right? well i wouldn't know, but i can only imagine the joy. So glad God has blessed your family. It's so wonderful to see two people united in Christ to be blessed with a child and to know Issac will be so loved and taught how much Christ loves him. YAY!

Carla said...

Robert - Nathan and I just read this together and busted up laughing. :D So glad you all are doing well and still amazingly finding time to keep us far away friends updated! Still in our prayers!

kelly 's a riot said...

good job, dad--did the food reinforcements help tonight? it was sooo fun to snuggle your little baby in my arms. i think pst enjoyed the visit as well. check out the pix on the blog and i'll send you the rest!

Rose said...

That is so funny!

Jamie said...

That is hilarious!

Congrats, you guys!!

Barnard said...

Love it!! I just read it aloud to Joe and we had a good laugh together...especially the last comment about tar. We remember oh too well! We love you guys. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

hahaha Rob you're hilarious. I like the Star Trek style. Isaac is amazing looking!!!

Stephanie said...

Funny! Hi Mollie, Good to meet you Robert, and Welcome to the world Isaac!

BekahSue32 said...

I keep having to come back and look at the pictures because he's just amazing! You guys did great!