I've been giving a lot of thought in the past couple months to what I want to do with my life, particularly the next step. At the forefront of this contemplation has been the question, "What is my dream"? It was a scary realization to find that I didn't know. If given a chance to do anything I wanted without any concern for money or time, I had no idea what I would do.
There's a Proverb that says something like, "for lack of vision the people perish". I don't know that I completely grasp the significance of this verse, but to some extent I can understand through my own situation. It's discouraging at the least to lack any vision for the future; to have no goals and no sense of purpose.
I'm not posting this to say that I have it figured out now and I know what I'm going to do. But I have rediscovered a dream that I buried a long time ago. Since I was very young I have wanted to be a recording artist and share my songs to whoever wanted to listen. This desire has always been there, but being the practical person I am, I gave up on it because I thought I had to pursue a more reliable career instead. I gave up on my dream. I think at the root of my practicality was, and is, the fear that I will follow that dream only to fail. Fear of failure has paralyzed any movement toward making this dream a reality.
I still don't know how to get there. The nuts and bolts of becoming a recording artist still escape me. However, the dream is reawakening, thanks in large part to my husband who's my biggest fan. So I'm gonna try. It may be really slow going, but I want to follow this dream even though it scares me to death!
Monday, April 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Mollie,
I hear you. Now that it's graduation time people ask "what do you want to do with your life?" I just now found out that I got turned down for an internship I was hoping for. But, maybe another door is opening at the same time.
I believe the Proverb you're referring to is 29:18. Some translations have "my people perish for lack of vision..." but I think a more accurate rendering is:
"Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law." (NIV)
I bolded the second half. I like it b/c it is a promise from God to us that if we just trust in the Lord's plans He will bless us.
He has me (and you) in the palm of His hand, guiding us to what He wants us to do with our lives. Whether we have a "vision" for it or not, he certainly has revealed Himself to us and given us His promise. We're blessed.
Woo, Mollie! (Hmm - I can't relate to your feelings at all - ha!) I am behind you whatever you do - know that! Nathan and I will be your biggest fans. ;)
And WHOA! Look at you with long hair!! I like it!
1. love your hair
2. agree with your thoughts and though I don't even know what my dreams are, I guess I'll find out...one step at a time
3. Glad you're going for your dream, cuz I've seen it in you all along...kinda like you were actually going for it even without knowing it. ;-)
4. not sure carla and nathan can be your biggest fans...they'll have to fight me ;-)
5. love you, love you, love you!!!! Me :-)
I keep meaning to tell you that the verses that were read during worship a few weeks back sounded SO familiar, and I was thinking...Isn't this a song? Then I realized YES! It is! It's MOLLIE'S song! It was the one that you recorded on my tape with BEKAH's song! Oh, I could listen to it over and over again. It's such a perfect reflection of the conflict that goes on in my head. Do you know the one I'm talking about? Love you!
Post a Comment