Thursday, May 25, 2006

Shall I keep counting?

So, tomorrow I turn 27. Now I don't know about you, but I typically contemplate an age and wonder what it will be like when I'm...fill in the blank. I neglected to do that this time. Perhaps the year was too busy and full or maybe the thought of the downhill ride to 30 was too scary, but I haven't thought about what it will be like to be 27. Of course, this means nothing in the scheme of things. Maturity is far more than digits. But it is a little unnerving, nonetheless.

It's unnerving that many of my struggles are the same ones I had 10 years ago. It's wild and crazy that I'm married now. My first married birthday. And that I'm living in Texas. And not only living in Texas but genuinely liking it. I love that it's summer almost the entire year.

With each new birthday I wonder what will happen in the year to come. I'm sure this one will hold many surprises. I'm excited. God is still the faithful God Who walked me through to here. My prayer is that this year will hold an intimacy with the Lord greater than I have ever known. I yearn for that and it seems so elusive at times. But I know the Lord desires that as well and so it will be.

I heard a song this morning by my current favorite group, 'Over the Rhine'. A line was "it gets harder as we believe". Something to contemplate, surely. Something about this statement resounds inside of me. Is it because the nature of belief explores the nuances of doubt? And so belief stands in the face of that doubt. Yeah. I'll have to think about that some more. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Molls,

Ya, I think we should keep counting! When I read your blog I thought about the verse that talks about the stone placed called "Ebenezer" --- I don't have my Bible with me...but I think it is in Samuel somewhere...but it was a stone placed and the people said, "thus far the Lord has helped us..." It reminded me of our own milestones in life and how we can count the years and say, "Thus far the Lord has helped us!"

Love ya Girl,

Ames (the red-headed Island girl)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»