Monday, September 15, 2008

Some thoughts on marriage.......

I'm not exactly sure why I started thinking about this, but as I was making R breakfast this morning, my mind went off on its own little tangent. It's not every morning that I make breakfast for my sweet love, but he was up painting in the office until 6am this morning so I wanted to bless him and help him in getting out the door to go to work (thankfully he did take the morning off to get some sleep). As I was preparing his coffee I was thinking about the fact that I knew he would appreciate my efforts and how much his appreciation inspires me to do things for him that he will appreciate.

That got me thinking about the patterns we choose in relationships and particularly in marriage. I feel so blessed to be married to R and thankful for the way he treats me and talks to me and how he shows his love for me. I don't know how many times people have given the "just you wait until" speal about how once we've been married 2 years.....6 years......had children......etc we won't be so nice to each other anymore. But as far as I'm concerned, the reason our marriage looks the way it does is because of the choices we've made from the beginning in how we treat each other and speak to each other...in our pattern of conduct toward each other.

I made the choice from the start not "to go there". Not to say those negative, critical things that once said is easier to say the next time and the next time. I'm definitely not perfect and I'm not trying to imply that our marriage is perfect and that we always treat each other the way we should. I guess I'm just trying to say that marriage is what we make it and we do have a choice how we will personally treat our spouse. And just like I love to do things that R appreciates because he appreciates them, I think the same is true for what we say and how we treat each other in other ways as well. We establish a pattern of conduct that determines what our marriage looks like. And how I treat R has an effect on how he will treat me in return and vice versa. So those are my thoughts on this fine Monday afternoon. I think the bottom line is "do unto others as you want them to do unto you".

3 comments:

Sarandipity said...

Good thoughts, sis. :)

bri said...

Mollie you are so fun. I needed to hear that. There are so many times I catch myself saying things I should not or would never want said to me to my husband. It breaks my heart after I have said them and then I apologize SOMETIMES... terrible isn't it... only sometimes. It is getting to a point though that I have prayed and asked God to help me control my tongue and even my thoughts so that I am not even tempted to tear my husband down. SO it IS getting better. I am glad that you wrote it here though because it makes me put forth even more of a conscious effort to love him even when I don't "like" him. Ü

love you guys...

BekahSue32 said...

Mols, I can't tell you how true everything you said is. We are watching the devastation that comes from NOT being purposed in the way 2 people treat each other and it's terrible! THank you for the reminder.