Friday, September 05, 2008

At the Risk of Sounding Preachy.....

Because this is a public forum, I won't divulge the incident that took place to spark my words, but let's just say it's possible this could be somewhat of a rant. I need to get some thoughts out about what I'd like to say to the individuals involved.

First of all, why is it that so often Christians get so hung up on a belief or principle that they try to bulldog others into adopting their way of thinking at the expense of love and respect and compassion? Why is it that so often as Christians we pick and choose those issues we must proclaim, all the while neglecting the other instructions of Scripture to conduct ourselves in humility and kindness and gentleness?

I hate to bring it up, but this is especially true in the political arena. We will absolutely harangue someone for his stance on a political issue, arguing to the death, only to be left with the dead and wounded that we've just attacked in the name of God and right and truth. Does this really accomplish anything other than alienation and division? Is it really so very important to convince someone else to adopt your view?

I've been reading some Scriptures this morning as I try to sort out my feelings and thoughts on this. In Philippians, after laying out some principles for how we are to live and function, Paul says in 3:15,16 > " All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained." Paul didn't feel the need to hammer his point home. He realized that God is more than able to change someone's view if it needs changing.

James 3:17, 18 says > "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peace-makers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." True wisdom doesn't blow people over in an attempt to convince others of the truth of her words. This verse outlines some of true wisdom's character traits. Peace-loving.....considerate.......full of mercy. And of those who speak with this kind of wisdom it says they are raising a harvest of righteousness. They are bearing fruit.

I used to be one of those people who was more concerned with being right or convincing someone else of my point of view, than any real care or love for that individual. I functioned like that for many years until a friend of mine showed me what it looks like to listen to another's point of view and consider ones own fallibility. I learned a lot from this friend and we were able to be friends even though we disagreed about almost everything. Still we had a mutual care and respect for each other. Does that mean that I threw away my own belief system? No. In fact, because I was open to being wrong and open to hear what someone else had to say, I found that my own beliefs were strengthened.

Anyone can argue their point and convince someone to come over to their way of thinking. One only needs to turn on the TV to hear one side arguing against the other and throwing their insults and drawing the lines of division deeper and deeper.

I believe as Christians we're to recognize that there's so much more to it than that. We're called to rise above the pettiness and belittling prevalent in controversies and quarrels. First of all, because God is up to the challenge of someone's differing view and opinion. But more importantly, we're called to demonstrate God's love in our words and our actions...in truth. This in no way means we compromise that truth, but we recognize that God seeks to change people's hearts. When someone's heart is changed, their mind will follow. But you can change someone's mind and unless that change goes deeper, they will likely change their mind again when another argument presents itself that makes more sense to them or is argued more convincingly.

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life." Phil. 2:14-16a

2 comments:

Rose said...

I love your blog today! I'm so tired of politics, sheesh.

BekahSue32 said...

preach it! Love comes first! I love those verses.