Monday, July 09, 2007

Running Out of Patience

We have this dilemma. Our cute, adorable, little doggies who are so angelic and wonderfully behaved during the day, turn into little monsters sometime after the stroke of midnight. Last night Chica started barking at howling around 1:30am and it was close to 4am before I could get back to sleep. If this was just a one time event it wouldn't be so bad, but it's been a rerun every night for a number of nights now. And, to top it all off, she pees in her kennel nearly every night as well.

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

If you have a dog that doesn't have these horrid habits, please tell me what you did!!!!!

2 comments:

Corrie said...

I am a friend of Nicki W. and I got to your blog from hers. I have three dogs, so I have some ideas for you.
1. Take dogs on a long walk in the later evening. Praise every time they go potty. That may help with both problems.
2. If pup is going potty before bed AND again during the night, he/she may have a UTI or bladder infection. Dogs don't want to mess up their kennels. If this continues, you may want to check with the vet.
3. Our dogs sleep in the guest bedroom (one in a kennel, the other two on a bed), and initally we had to ignore some barking. Now they don't bark unless something is wrong. Can you or your husband put the shirt you wore that day into the kennel with the upset pup? The smell may be comforting to him/her.

And seriously, talk with your vet. They understand animal behavior and may be able to help you figure out why the pup is barking in the night.

Sorry this is so long!
Corrie

Shelly said...

Hey Mollie!
I didn't know you had a blog:)
Hmmm...about the dogs.

As far as the pottying in the crate issue, how late do you let your dogs drink water?

With the barking issue, do they sleep in your room or a room by themselves?

p.s. was good to see you again saturday:)