Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Growth

I don't often recognize growth as it is happening, but looking back over the past few weeks, it is evident in me. I suppose this is true in much of life. One can see that a tree grows taller and yet not be witness to the actual growing of the tree. The Lord can be such a gentle gardener! Though I'm sure that I'm not aware of all the Lord has been doing in me, I can see that my heart has softened and that my concern about what people think of me has diminished. There is a stillness in me that wasn't there before and I am thankful for the working of the Lord. I still don't have a clear vision about what He has for me, but I see how important this time is and that there is much value in my care of our home and my sweet husband.

It's funny to think that in generations past it was the norm for a wife to remain at home and care for the household. I was concerned that I would soon grow bored, but instead find that I'm far busier than I imagined. I'm all for progress and for women to have the option to pursue education and a career, but I think that even in the midst of that it is important to retain an appreciation for a simpler, less-spotlighted life. I'm learning that there is something to be said for the behind-the-scenes roles. They are no less important than those on center stage.

I don't know if this is where God has brought me, or if it's just a place along the way, but it has been good for me and I'm glad to experience this time. It has helped me to live in the now instead of always striving for what comes next. That's something I've prayed for for a long time.....

2 comments:

Amber said...

Sweet post Mollz. Uh, yeah it snowed overnight and there is about 2 feet of fresh snow I need to shovel. Did I mention... it's April?!

Anonymous said...

first paragraph: Every time I'm in the garden, I have a heightened awareness of why our Lord is referred to as a Gardener. Everything I do in the garden makes sense when I compare it to God working in my life. From pulling weeds (you MUST get the root out or the problem is back before you know it) to watering (it's wet and murky and blech-y, but everything works so much better and grows so much faster because of it). I love that about Him.

2nd paragraph: I think my lot in life will be the constant challenge between the desire to go out and the desire to stay in. I love my job, but certain days I announce to Cam that I plan to be a stay at home wife today. There is just so much to do. And there's joy in doing it. Being behind the scenes doesn't always sound grand though. Can I have a healthy balance? I will soon find out I suppose. I am so glad that you get to enjoy that life right now though.

Love you Mols!