At the ladies' Bible study I attend, our instructor said today that it is important that we don't compare ourselves with other people. She told us that we are all unique and come with our own struggles and short-comings and stories. This hit home with me because I find myself frequently comparing myself to others. If I'm feeling down and critical of myself, than I look at others and how their attitude is so much better or they're better wives or Christians or friends. Then in those times when I'm feeling pretty confident, or even when I'm excited about something the Lord is doing in my life, I tend to look at others and think how I'm better at doing something or have a better outlook or marriage or walk with the Lord. Neither is helpful at all.
If only I would remember that we all have something to offer to each other. We bring with us the life lessons and experiences we have known that we can share. Even those who are less intelligent or socially adapted have something to offer. The Bible says that a little child shall lead. How often I forget this and think that I'm better because I'm smart or outgoing. And in those times when I feel like I'm a hopelessly messed up case, even then I also have something to offer and something to share.
There is much to be learned in this walk of faith. Every time I think I've grasped hold of truth in an area, I become aware of how little I do know and understand and follow. Yet, even then God loves me and His patience is beyond my ability to comprehend. In this moment I'm so thankful for Christ and the grace He gives. With His help, perhaps one day I will learn to extend that grace to others and to myself.
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Mollie,
So nice to read your insights. I am Kelly's friend, Nicki (from church and from sitting behind you at the BU game)>check out my blog too!!
Post a Comment