Monday, May 08, 2006

With one lone flashlight.....

A couple weeks ago I was reading in my favorite magazine, Real Simple, about the need to be prepared for unexpected events like a natural disaster. Yes, I agreed, that's a good idea, I should do that. Yes, well, there's no time like the present...

Friday night brings a grumbling awakening, thunder that is, and lightning that doesn't know when to stop. God must need to replace a lightbulb 'cause the whole sky flickered constantly for over an hour. And of course our lightbulbs stopped flickering period. At some point R. decides to find the batteries for the radio so we can find out what's going on. After repeated effors to put the batteries in in the dark, we tune in to hear that severe thunderstorms are coming our way. Really? I'm sure glad we got a radio signal! R. manages to track down our one and only flashlight, so we're set. We watch the storm for awhile and wonder if we should go downstairs and camp out in the bathroom. We decide to ride it out in the comfort of our bed.

Saturday morning brings sunshine, but no electricity. That means no morning coffee and no laundry day. Bummer. So, off to Starbucks. On the way it becomes apparent that we were experiencing more than a little thunderstorm. Garage doors ripped from a warehouse down the street, trees uprooted, the roof removed from the carwash, and Starbucks seems to be the only place open in the Texas Central Marketplace. The faithful few. I'm still feeling bummed about not having electricity, but thankful that our home is still intact. Word has it we were hit with an F2 tornado.

Saturday night and still no electricity. Off to bed with our trusty flashlight and hope that tomorrow will bring.....

Sunday morning and still no electricity. MacDonalds breakfast and then it's Starbucks again. We hang out and read for awhile. The airconditioning is running full blast so we decide to go home and thaw out. We have lights! I've never been so thankful for electricity before! It's a beautiful thing! We made it, even with just one lone flashlight.

No comments: