drama, drama, drama.
Yesterday was one of the most positive days I've had lately. I just felt really good about myself and really positive about "George's" coming and how all of that would play out. I think it helped that pretty much the only thing I did yesterday was go shopping with my friend Bri! That kept me from sitting at home twiddling my thumbs waiting for the little man to show up!!!
R and I enjoyed dinner together and then went to Target to look at some stuff; came home and watched some TV, went for a walk. It was looking like just a pleasant evening. I started to feel a little anxious about the fact that the little man had been moving non-stop for an hour and a half. I've read in a few different places about monitoring fetal movement and that if it seems like the baby is moving frantically that it could be a sign he's in distress. I wasn't sure how to gage whether his movement was frantic, but he's definitely never been THAT active before. I called my doctor and she said if his movement is excessive that I should go in to labor and delivery and get monitored to make sure everything is okay.
We packed up the car with all our gear just in case we ended up staying. We get to the hospital a little after 10pm. Because of the lateness of the hour we have to enter through the emergency entrance since they lock the other hospital doors for security. A nice man on staff walks us all the way to labor and delivery and leaves us at the nurses' station with the assurance that someone will be right with us.
And so the drama begins...... We stand there for a few minutes wondering if we're going to be completely ignored, when a nurse stands up, coughs really loud, and asks who our doctor is. Cough, cough. We tell her and are somewhat reassured when she already knows who I am 'cause our doctor had called ahead to let them know I was coming. Cough, cough. They discuss among themselves what room to put me in and we head off (cough, cough) down the hall to check me into a room for monitoring. She tells R he has to wait until they've checked me in...wait a minute...this isn't the way it's supposed to be happening...whisked off to the room leaving R behind. Cough, cough. I put on my gown and get hooked up to the fetal monitor and hear the little man's heartbeat strong and steady. Phew. Cough, cough. I get asked a whole slew of questions all the while wondering when R can come in and knowing he's about to flip out waiting outside!
She finally gets through with the questions and I have to ask her if the baby's heartrate looks okay and all. Cough, cough. She says yes and leaves to get R. (It's about time!) Next nurse comes in and asks a few more questions. Thankfully she's not trying to hack up a lung and seems a little bit nicer. All in all we were there for probably less than an hour. Of course as soon as I laid down and got hooked up "George" quit moving completely. Thanks a lot! Everything was fine and we were glad to go just for the peace of mind, but I didn't like my first experience in labor and delivery.
I was totally disturbed by the fact that it seemed the first nurse should be home in bed nursing her cough rather than at the hospital nursing me. I didn't like that R had to wait outside. I think what bothered me the most is that I knew that if I insisted he come with me that they would let him come, but I felt like everything was so out of my control and I was just being moved along with no time to think. Then I didn't appreciate that the nurse kept telling me that movement wasn't cause for concern, it was when there was a lack of movement. Hello!?!? I know that! But I also know what my baby is like and he has NEVER moved like that before and darn it, the doctor recommeneded that I come in to be monitored. Argh!!
Our doctor calls up to the nurse's station after reading the monitor and says that everything looks good and I'm free to go. Sounds good. I get back into my normal clothes feeling relieved that little man is okay and relieved to be leaving. Back home we go; it's now after midnight and that great positive feeling from the day has evaporated and mostly I just feel even more freaked out about going in for the real thing. R keeps reassuring me that this time was different because it wasn't the real thing and we didn't have our birth plan in hand to present to them 'cause I knew I wasn't in labor. Alas. I finally fell asleep sometime after 1am, only to be awakened at 2am by a crash in the kitchen. R gets up to investigate with baseball bat in hand. I lay there groggy, holding my breath until he comes back to say everything is okay...but my pot rack came right out of the wall and all the pots and pans fell. Sigh. Thankfully nothing got broken in the fallout.
Drama, drama, drama. I'm glad it's a new day and I'm gonna try to not think about the whole thing anymore. Our little boy is okay; we're okay. I am, however, gonna ask my doctor about the coughing nurse!! That's just rediculous!!!
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
They day before Joni gave birth (that night) we went to the hospital after her scheduled exam and got hooked to the monitor to make sure there was no distress. I hated it. Just didn't like sitting there listening to it, wondering if something was wrong. It was like the definition of anxiety.
I highly recommend Robert take naps during the day or when he comes home from work. So that if labor starts in the evening (as it did with us) and birth comes early in the morning, he'll be more up on sleep. Because you're going to get very little sleep in that first 48 hours and every little bit counts. I wish I had taken a nap the afternoon Joni started laboring, because 24 hours later I had gotten about 15 minutes of sleep.
Hold your ground on stuff. The closer you are to due date or past the more they want to talk you into stuff you don't want (you remember our stories).
I honestly can't remember a more nerve-wracking time in my life than those hours at the hospital. Take a Bible, read Psalms out loud.
I am soooo sorry that you had a terrible first experience up there. I truly am. I don't know if it will be different if it is the real thing with a full term pregnancy, but I do know that your DR. is AMAZING and she will see to it that everyone assisting her is polite and treats you kind. I love her! She will put you at ease, PROMISE!
Hillcrest (Hellcrest hehehehe)(no I am not bitter I just don't like them Ü)... I tried to tell you! (hehehe not like you have a choice at this point... I know, I know Ü) they are just not nice. Okay some of them are just not nice. Pray hard that you will get the few that are civil human beings with a brain that functions properly. Oh and their health status is safe enough to keep you out of the ER next week.
I will be praying with you most definitely. I figured since your pregnancy is completely good that they would not treat you like dirt but guess it is everyone that walks through their doors. Ugghhhh. wonder what they really wanted to be? Astronaut maybe and they failed so now they are miserable working as a nurse and are going to stick it to the world along with the I have an itch label on their forehead. I mean find a new job, you are dealing with mothers in labor, some normal, some in critical condition... but all are not in the mood to catch your mess!!!
That's all I have to say Ü
Post a Comment