Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Forever Young

I'm told that one day I will come to appreciate the fact that I look young for my age, but I have yet to see the benefits. (I should apologize for the fact that this will most likely be nothing more than a vent. ARGH!) I'm so tired of being treated as if I don't know what I'm doing simply because I look young!!!!!!! I'm frustrated with the condescending tone, the furtive glances looking for someone else to assist them, being questioned when I tell someone the procedure, told how to do something I've done a thousand times. What is it that makes people act this way? It takes twice as much effort trying to prove my competence rather than just being competent. I'm sure I should probably learn to just let it go, but it's hard when it happens repeatedly. Does anybody else feel this way????? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Happy Belated Birthday Mollie!

Wow can I ever relate to this blog post. I will briefly list a few incidents where I have been mistaken for MUCH younger than I am:

- When I was around 18 years old, the food sampler lady at Costco thought I was 12 and almost made me go get my mom before she would let me have a sample of food.

- Ninteen years old... my parents and I were going out for my birthday supper and the restraunt owner stopped us at the door and told us minors weren't allowed. Thankfully we explained that I was indeed over 18 and I could go in.

- Twenty years old I accidentally got a discount when going to the theatre. The girl thought I was under 16 so I got the kids price. (That was nice actually, I didn't really mind.)

- For my twenty second birthday... the girl who waited on us talked to me like I was about 13 or 14... her name was Amber too... and when she found out it was my birthday she said "Awww how old are you turning?" And I said twenty two... and she looked all shocked. It was funny because I think she was a few years younger than me.

Those are just a few scenerios. There have been SO many over the years.

And now most people usually assume I'm still in high school... sometimes even junior high. I realize I don't wear tons of make-up ... so that's probably part of it. I don't know. But yeah it totally bothers me when adults are condescending (far more than when they mistake me for being younger). How does age equal respect? People should respect kids just as much as adults (even though levels of responsibility and authority are different).

That's weird this happens to you too, especially when you're one if not THE most mature friend I have... and are now married. GEEZ.

Ro said...

Yeah, young lady. I can identify with you. I get treated that way all the time, the most recent being after a very painful injury when I was told I needed to get back to work because other people had a similar one and they worked. That's not so much youth discrimination, I know, but when folks decide they know better than the other what is best for them it tends to 'tick me off, 'ya know? :) Love you, DAD